So here it is an all time favorite cookie recipe, the Strassbuger cookie, that I decided to add cardamom to about 16 years ago. I fell in love with the delicate crumb of the cookie, and that sweet scent of Cardamom that fills the air long after they are finished baking. Yep that’s it, as close as you’re going to get to Heaven on Earth…. You can pipe the things out, but I sometimes like to roll the dough into logs, and slice it so I get my cookies quicker.
1 lbs. 8 oz. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 lbs. powdered sugar
6 eggs, room temperature
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 lbs. 8 oz. cake flour
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Scale your ingredients at room temperature, or your arms will fall off when you attempt to pipe these out.
3. Using a pastry blender, mix the ingredients in a large bowl, until a crumbly dough forms
4. Mix well until the dough becomes a paste. NOTE: You may want to place the dough in the refrigerator for a few minutes before bagging it if the butter begins to melt too much.
5. Using a pastry bag and large star tip, make silver dollar sized swirls (or the shape of your choice).
6. Give the cookies at least one inch in between each other as they may spread if the butter gets too warm before going in the oven.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the tops brown slightly. Be careful not to over bake.
8. Cool slightly on a baking rack prior to garnishing with powdered sugar.
9. You can skip the sugar, and dip them in dark chocolate, lightly dusted with chopped hazelnuts too!!!
Don Messina currently sits on the board of directors for Sandcastle Hospitality, and serves as the Executive Chef for Iguana Isle, an ” Island Inspired” company based in Naples, Florida . He has been inspired by his travels throughout the Caribbean to create his own blend of spices to help the average home cook to bring authentic flavors of the islands to their home.
Other recipes by Chef Don Messina.
Seafood Curry Rundown
Authentic Chicken Mole – coming soon