- 2 Large Vidalia onions
- 1 1/2 Cups of Flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 5 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1.2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoons of finely minced ginger
- Tamarind and Date Chutney (from any Indian grocery store)
- Chopped cilantro
- 1. Cut the onions into quarter inch slices and separate into rings, set aside.
- 2. Combine flour, baking powder, curry powder, and salt. In a separate bowl mix eggs, ginger, garlic, milk, and vinegar. Mix the liquid in the flour mixture using a whisk to make the batter.
- 3. Marinate the cut onion rings in the batter for an hour in the fridge.
- 4. Heat Vegetable Oil to 365 degrees.
Deep fry until golden brown and season with salt and cilantro while still hot.
Serve with Tamarind and Date Chutney.
Curried Onion Rings w/Tamarind & Date Chutney
I am so excited to share this recipe from Spilled Milk Catering. Their curried onion rings with tamarind and date chutney is just one of the many incredible food options on their creative catering repertoire.
I made these onion rings while home alone (not a good idea, since I could not stop eating them). The flavor of the curry batter was incredible and cilantro and salt combination left me…speechless.
* I used Maharajah Curry Powder from Penzey’s Spices.
Preparation 60 minutes
Serving 4 people